When I consider all the events that seemed to fall in place beautifully for an adoption, it blows my mind that our road has changed so much. Why "waste" all that time and energy on that route only to see it abruptly hit a wall? I had a friend jokingly tease Mark about where his righteous living has gotten him. I sometimes, in anger, smirk at that irony myself. Why do we try so hard to figure things out and work so hard to do the right thing when so often, it seems in vain. At the end of the day, I feel like I have lacked understanding, been totally off base, and I am completely confused, especially when I really thought I was doing the right thing. As I have mentioned before, the young women in our ward are reading the Book of Mormon to earn a trip to the General Young Women's meeting later this month. Many of them are reading and not understanding. I am sure they get frustrated with the challenge. I feel like the leaders have tried to teach them the importance of reading just to read, to get it done. I hope when they finish, they realize that at 12 years old, it isn't crucially important that they understood each word, that they grasped 2nd Nephi, but that they did it. They were obedient and they read it cover to cover. After preaching that to them throughout the process, it hit me this Fast Sunday that I needed to take my own advice.
It doesn't matter if I understand the whys or the whats that Mark and I will specifically learn from this experience. We (meaning mostly Mark) are confident that things will all be well in time, and sometimes I get hung up on what that actually means. I have no idea whether my idea of "all things well' is the same as the master plan, but maybe that isn't the important thing. I just need to be doing the right things whether I understand or not where they will take me. Perhaps this "righteous living" hasn't completely gotten us where we think we want yet, but where will it get us? I am beginning to understand more fully that this Gospel has never been and never will be about instant gratification. I loved Elder Bednar's October 2009 Conference talk on consistency. He talked about having family home evening and scripture study in their home and how there was not one defining spiritual moment, it was about the journey: "The consistency of our intent and work was perhaps the greatest lesson—a lesson we did not fully appreciate at the time." Through this ordeal, I am struggling with that particular lesson. I have to remind myself to take things one step at a time, be a little more obedient, and have a little more faith, even if I don't necessarily like the way it is being taught. I am not always thrilled about how things are going, but I am recommiting myself to being consistent and not worrying about the whys or the details.
Rarely, if ever, do we comprehend all the answers. There are some Gospel principles I grasp, but many more I do just because I am told to and I figure there must be some merit in just being obedient. I believe I know that in the end, it really will all be well. There are days and times when the Spirit witnesses that I am on the right path, and there are glimpses of the happiness in store. I doubt I know the extent of that happiness and how well all will be. If I did, this wouldn't be much of a struggle or a learning process.
Ok, off the soap box and back to life updates. Mark and I were able to make it to the cabin this weekend and we had an amazing time! It was fun to kick back and relax somewhere besides our house. Mark claims to get sick of our "bat cave" once in awhile. It is hard for me to imagine that (ahem), but since he is the cancer patient, what he says goes:) We had great food, good games, and the greatest company. I learned not to discount the first graders, one was directly responsible for our team putting down 2 out of 3 games of Sequence. I have never won Sequence at my parent's house; I think it is because I am usually paired with Mark and he never wins anything. Here is picture proof of my point. Mark is getting the Mario Kart beatdown!
Even the little one seems to be concerned that Mark can't place better than fourth. Mark, as long as you win the important battles, I will be satisfied.
Apparently, I have been quite enthralled with this post. Mark thought he heard a car door slam and went to check it out. As he walked through the kitchen he noticed some cookies on the kitchen table. Our trusty "guard dog" didn't even alert us to the fact that some eight year old neighbor girl knocked three times and busted into our kitchen. Slightly alarming, but quite funny. She left Mark a wonderful note of encouragement. We love our ward family! Even our primary kids are amazing. Shortly after the cookie bandit struck, we received this picture of two young men showing a different kind of support...
How cute are they!?! I noticed at church today a few other of the primary boys were sporting similar styles. We love you guys!



9 comments:
Jenny and Mark,
Just want to say you are both great examples to me. Stay strong and know you are continually in our thoughts and prayers.
p.s. Isn't primary great! Those kids are amazing!
OK. Im a mess. Your an AMAZING writer...serisouly. I needed this. Really. Today has been a rough one and this hit me hard. Thanks for this. And then I cracked up at the cookie bandit and little boys with shaved heads, how sweet. Arent people amazing? Really. Ok. So lets hang out this week, Ill call you. Kyle and Lex are having their baby tomorrow so it will be crazy but Ill let you know! Tell Mark i never win anything either, maybe we should team up?!
Love the insights. Keep the posts coming, I am learning so much from you!!
Jordan's head buzz is coming! We love you guys! Sounds like you had a good weekend. I think Kris got beat by Ash @ Mario Kart too. :)
I am with Annalee, I definately needed to hear that today. I want you to know that I think about you guys all the time and I am continually praying for you. You are both amazing people and I want Mark to know that even though we lost touch..I still consider him one of my dear friends..he helped me with so many things in my life and I am sure he didn't even realize it. Thanks for being such a GREAT friend Mark!!!
So, Jen, yes I come here during the time that I normally took to read books from libraries! I read yours then headed to Jace's.
She was grateful that her son had a bag of blood - safe blood to drip into his IV.
Both posts remind me of my Dad's consistency to donate blood. Like Bednar's talk points out it is those continous choices that lead to great things. Every 6 weeks my Dad has donated blood for years.
The Red Cross will call, his reminder on the phone will go off- and he goes in. Again and again.
I got choked up when I saw that hanging bag, thought about the people through out the world who need it because of earthquakes etc. Those choices add up to LIFE SAVING results.
It was neat to see a physcial reminder of how important the little daily habits can add up and be needed at just the right moment.
Love you. Amanda
Love you.
Jenny
I have so enjoyed reading all of your post. I love hearing your stong testimony, you are a great example to all of us. Everything you have said in your post has touched me in some way or another. I know you guys are going through one of lifes hardest trials, but the things you say can be a strengh to so many people in there everyday lives. Thanks so much for writing and sharing with all of us.
Jenny and Mark, you both are incredible inspiring, which is why I want to give you a blog award. Go check out my blog for more details! You definitely deserve it!
Hey Jen, I just want you to know how much I have loved and appreciated your blog. My husband made the comment tonight "what are we doing wrong, why can't we catch a break. . . " and he went on to list the series of huge trials we have had in the last year. I can't tell you how may times the thought "heavenly father, what have I done to make you so incredibly angry with me." has crossed my mind and in the moment it is so hard to see how that trial could be something positive. . much less a blessing. HOwever, as I look back at all of those moments and realize that I am still standing her able to think about them, I made it, and I'm different than I would be had I not been through those things. I'm am slowly realizing that our trials are not a punishment for sin or omission. THey are just a part of the test, a way to help us move on to something better than we can ever dream or imagine and even when my faith and hope are shaken. . . my lungs continue to fill with air, some how we still have a roof over our head, food on the table, the love of family and friends, and most of all a Father who is watching over us and cheering us on.
Post a Comment