Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Adventure

Our trip to Seattle already feels like forever ago. I think that last week was l-o-n-g. With Mark and I both sick, we pretty much camped out in our front room. I eventually went to the doctor and am awaiting some blood work. I have had some swollen lymph nodes, and one has become quite painful. I know it is just infection, but I am prone to worry. We used to just get sick, now getting sick brings a whole new realm of possibilities. The doctor felt the swelling and commented about it, sarcastically mentioning the chances of both of us having lymphoma are not that good. In my head I thought, "Hmmmmm, Mark and I seem to beat all sorts of odds. We are the luckiest people ever. One in a million right?" Needless to say, I am not worried about anything too serious. Honest. Out of curiosity, however, I did check the internet. I will say it was a wealth of information and I could have AIDS, syphillis, mono, lymphoma, or melanoma. I don't really like any of those.......:) If I do have something awesome, we are so playing the lottery this week!

Back to our Seattle trip, Mark and I did have a little adventure. He was basically sick the whole time, but he gave it his best effort. The weather was perfect and the area is gorgeous. We started the trip off with a bang. Mark turned down a map repeatedly, feeling completely confident in our Garmin. After some fiddling in the local pancake house parking lot, he decided the old fashioned way might not be so bad. We retraced our steps back to retrieve the map. The map meant well, but only a few roads were actually labeled and our hotel was in a suburb not even on the map. Helpful. Being an incredible navigator, I finally got us on the right interchange. The only problem was no one was moving, and cars were actually turned off. It didn't feel promising. Mark asked if I knew another way. Really?? We ended up taking the lead from some other unsafe drivers and BACKED up off  the ramp and headed down a different one. Somehow, two hours later, we found ourselves on a road located on the map, heading in the opposite direction of our hotel location. About the same time I tried my luck with lady Garmin. Why I didn't demand my turn earlier who knows. I got it working within a few pushed buttons and it eventually gave great directions to our hotel.

Learning that yes, I am indeed better at navigating, was just one of the many lessons learned on our "vacation". We also learned to never go on a trip alone together, again. We are boring. We didn't know what to do in our free time. Mark talked on the phone with clients a lot, and I tried to find something entertaining. Mark had to eat ALL the time and since it took a while to get anywhere, I think we spent most of our time driving places to eat. Maybe Mark was sick, but I swear I forced some good conversation that just didn't take. I learned that I could never live in a big city, Mark shouldn't be allowed to drive in one, and I will not show Mark cool Nikes I like, he will buy them for himself first. Mark and I grew increasingly aware we were small town folk. Deciding to fancy things up, we ate at the Space Needle. It didn't seem too expensive on the internet, 35 dollars average for dinner. They don't mention salad, appetizers, sides, and garnish are all additional charges. Plus, they have a 35 dollar minimum. I wasn't that hungry, Mark was on a 2 hour feeding schedule and I wasn't used to that. All I really wanted was something off the appetizer menu, but it was 35 bucks anyway ya sliced it so I ordered me up some food off the big menu. During dinner, I somehow got my shoe stuck on a heat vent. Did I mention the restaurant rotates? It does, but not the outer wall. We were on the verge of a serious problem, an embarassing problem. I freed my foot just in time. After meeting some interesting people that wouldn't quite fit in here in the bubble and trying not to show the shock on our faces, we decided we had had enough of downtown Seattle. Luckily, I was able to walk out with both feet.

Our homeward journey had a few more lessons just in case we hadn't had enough. FYI, Hyundais run a few miles on empty, there is traffic on the interstate all the time, and the best time to hit the Seatac airport is 2 on a Saturday afternoon. No one was there--or spoke English. I was trying so hard not to be rude, but I think I gave my fair share of blank stares, trying to figure out what they had just told me. Arriving at security, we met our first American, English as a first language worker. I wanted the nice, hard to understand people back. They were at least friendly and patient. There was NO ONE in front or behind us, but the lady decided I somehow was holding up time as we knew it. She rolled her eyes as I started the security process, making me a little flustered. She was pretty disgusted with me dropping my shoe, struggling with my belt, and trying to use the buckets provided. Our little airport makes you put everything in buckets, she wanted everything on the conveyer belt. She did her best to motivate me, but the more she barked, the more nervous I became and the harder it was to get everything the way she wanted. I would hate to see how she was in a stressful situation and with an actual amount of people there.

Mark and his seagull friend eating fish and chips at the pier. This was maybe the third meal of the day?

This girl was much more daring than we were. I made the smart choice and sat us under the overhang where we could watch the seagulls in safety. She trusted they wouldn't leave her presents I guess. I was willing to share Mark's food, but I didn't trust they would keep the after effects to themselves.
The seemingly innocent, but dangerous needle with its rotating tricks. It took a while to get used to, and after it had lulled me into complacency, it struck! Oh, and did you know that you can see mountains in Alaska from the top?? Hehe, this what Mark pointed out, I knew he meant Canada and was exaggerating that even, but ALASKA?? WOW! That is amazing. I should be nice, he has chemo brain, but it was fun teasing him about it for awhile. Nice weather though!

Really pretty, actual view from the top. Did you know that these buidlings are actually in Alaska? Ok, it is just downtown Seattle, but still pretty cool.

Overall, I am glad we were able to get away from home, even for just a few days. I wish Mark would have felt better, and we would have had a better agenda, but Washington is one of my favorite places to visit. Can't say we didn't have a learning adventure. On the trip, we did get a call from our social worker. We hope to be approved by the adoption committee in the following week. Hurray! Four months and counting......


3 comments:

Unknown said...

sounds like fun in seattle! yikes! doesn't make me want to visit anytime soon with the nasty traffic!

Steven said...

The Space Needle sounds very cool thanks for the post and cool pictures.

Shalee said...

An adventure indeed! And YAY for the impending adoption approval!! :)