Monday, May 3, 2010

Yes--I am aware

I know that I am one of those crazy animal lover people who boggles the mind of those around me. Someday, if I outlive Mark (which, for a number or reasons, I think the odds are in my favor:) ), I might--or probably will turn into one of those old ladies that numbs the loneliness with cats, dogs, and birds. At least I can admit that I am slightly crazy and humanize my pets. Mark, it might be best that I go first....keep it in mind!

This last week was about as dreary as the weather. Last summer was ridiculous and I don't think we had much of one. So far, things are shaping up to be the same way. After two days of rather enjoyable weather, one of which ended in puppy tragedy, it has been miserable! I am so tired of wind, cold, and wet. Adding to the dreariness, Mark has been sick almost every day. Chemo seemed to kick him down harder and faster than usual. On top of that, the doctor suspects he caught some bug the rest of us normal people are immune to. Thus, our little family has been enjoying the dark, dreary, dampness of the bat cave, Roxy included.

As previously stated, Roxy can be tough to reason with. She has felt much better and has longed for days chasing cats, and playing her made up games with herself out in her kennel. I have had to be the bad guy, letting her out only to do her business. I also am the one that shoves pills down her throat, sticks the cone on, and takes her to the vet. Mark, the hero, takes the cone off and shares Cheetos. I can see how future parenting is going to go.

The guilt finally caught up with me and I made a special trip that all moms take when their children need doctoring--CAL Ranch. I picked up a few items needed to craft a wonderful bandage. I won't admit to the amount spent in certain supplies, but I made sure they were top notch and fashionable. After arming myself with various tape and Coflex in a variety of spring colors, I felt confident I could construct the perfect bandage that would allow Roxy some much needed freedom. To spare myself and Roxy embarrassment, I did not take a picture. The first attempt was secure, but did not allow much movement. The second attempt appeared to be flexible yet sturdy. I underestimated Roxy and the getup lasted about 30 minutes. I felt quite defeated, that is until yesterday.

I am a very clever person. It only takes about 2 weeks. My best ideas come after the situation has come and gone. My best comebacks come in the middle of the night, days after the jab. Moving dialogue and amazing lecture moments occur days after the actual lecture. I am very clever, it is my timing that is incredibly off. My latest and greatest idea is no different. After days of taping handcrafted bandages onto Roxy's torso, the lightbulb finally went off. A shirt!! Roxy needs a shirt. It will provide protection against dirt, scratching, and licking. A shirt will provide excellent mobility.  Roxy can't take the shirt off on her own.  And last of all, Roxy will look quite fashionable. I knew I had one or two extra t-shirts and rummaged through my closet to find the perfect one.
Ta-dah! It is a shirt, bandage, nightgown, and ID tag all in one! The cone of shame has been retired. Roxy is very proud to wear my old flag football shirt. For those of you that can't make out the writing:
 
If football is your religion
Prepare to meet your maker
RESTRAINED

'Nough said.

6 comments:

Josh + Kiri said...

Gotta love those shirts - i am sure Roxy will!

Designs by Kassie said...

You are so funny Jen!! I love reading your posts:) I have a dog named Roxy too and she is just like another child to me- so I totally get it!

Mandi said...

I hate it when I come up with a really good come back hours after the fact. I always want a redo on the conversation. I love the shirt though, so fitting.

Steven said...

Such a funny blog entry. I too have a blog but don't know what to write about on a regular basis I get on every few months I wish I could be more Consistent but I'm just not sure I have a lot of good stories that are worthy of first of all my time it takes to post and second for people to read and appreciate.

Nick and Brent said...

Hi Jenny---I came across your blog from someone else after I heard about Mark, and I just want to give you a shout-out and tell you I think you're amazing and you and Mark are in our prayers. Good luck with the final chemo and adoption...life never turns out how we plan, does it? Much love, Nicole (white) Mackey

Kristy Hammond said...

That's classic! If I ever get another dog, I might just put a shirt on it...I like the many purposes it serves. You are awesome!