Roxy, our golden retriever is the sweetest dog ever, but no genius. However, she was potty trained in one day. She literally had one accident in our first house and felt so bad about it and feared me so much that it never happened again. Roxy has a very submissive personality. She is now no longer allowed in the house, but I can leave her in the garage for long periods of time and know she will cross paws if she must. Paige can't stand a mess. She cleans crumbs at our house, at restaurants, wherever they might be. She will not finish eating if she feels her hands are too messy. I thought this aversion to messes would make potty training a cinch. Apparently she can't stand a smidge of peanut butter on her fingers, but doesn't mind filling her shoes with pee. Paige is so stubborn and doesn't have a healthy respect or fear of me....AT ALL. She is fairly certain she is the boss, and sometimes I am fairly certain she is too! After the first two days I was ready to throw in the towel. I wasn't able to leave the house, she didn't care about her chart, or stickers, or treats, or threats, or bribes, or cool new big girl panties she picked out herself, or anything. Finally on day three I let her set the "potty timer" on my phone, which I guess is more exciting than any of these other things. Day three and four were seriously successful, especially compared to where we had been. I was a little floored to be honest with you. Of course the stickers and treats have been an important part of the process. I fear her teeth will not survive potty training.
Saturday we went for a horse ride, and I put her in a pull-up because, well riding buddy I wasn't thrilled with the thought of an accident. Sunday was church and she couldn't be trusted to go to nursery without a pull-up. That seemed to have set us back. The last two days we have had a bit of a regression. Hoping we get back on track. But this begs the question, why was the dog so easy?! Paige's brain is far superior and she is one smart cookie. Why is this so hard? And really I still don't know if I see the day when she can be trusted to 1. Tell me she needs to go and 2. Go out to any public place without a pull-up. Sigh. The road seems long! But we have come a LONG way. Before last week, we had 6 stickers on this chart. We have reached the end and started a new line that already has a few stickers on it. She is doing pretty good!
Other than spending all my time in a bathroom, or watching her like a hawk, I did participate in a stake activity. It was a marathon course but done as a team relay. I have not been running. I do other cardio, but my body has hated running lately. I forced myself to run 3 or 4 times and then decided that was good enough. I play soccer weekly and run there so that counts right? There had been a bit of drama over this particular stake activity and it was fairly ridiculous. I, myself, had a bad attitude which is also fairly ridiculous. My friend Kristy was our ward coordinator and she did so much work. I was supposed to be the team captain and she pretty much did all the work, and went above and beyond by ordering all our shirts and made us all race packets. If I had truly been the team captain, my team would have gotten a big ole text about where they needed to meet:) In the end, this event ended up being a blast. It was really fun and the drama was soon forgotten. I actually felt pretty good while running and enjoyed the run for the first time in a long time. I think I miss the race experience a bit. Maybe someday my knee and foot will allow for long distance running again.
This picture is of both teams from our ward. We were the Jello Jigglers and most of our team is not pictured. They started the race for us and we got all the glory for finishing it out. Katie and Lisa hung onto that Finish sign for a few hours to make sure it didn't blow away. Fortunately, they didn't either! I was worried about Katie there a few times!
As for other news, I am debating on whether or not to get an MRI on this stupid wrist of mine. It still bugs me daily. Not enough to be super painful, just enough to be annoying and persistent. I can curl light weights, but stapling papers or swatting flies hurts. It just seems fickle. The bones have healed up fabulously, but there maybe some soft tissue injury. I hate the "maybe." I like the obvious injury where the bone is sticking out and they know right away why it hurts. My biggest fear is that they do the MRI and see nothing. So it just bugs for no reason and I am a huge wuss for complaining or being annoyed by it. Then I just feel stupid for wasting time and money and whining about it. Kind of on the fence as whether to do the MRI or not. The doctor seems to think I shouldn't have any discomfort this far out from injury, and while it doesn't hurt necessarily, there is something not normal and it isn't what it used to be. If I only knew.....maybe I should just really hurt it so it's definite! And just in case my looming 30th birthday wasn't depressing enough, it looks like I might get braces for yet a third time. My metabolism is dying, my body is slowing down and falling apart, wrinkles are appearing, hair grows in awesome places, and I get to relive the awkward teenage years with braces, zits, and an overbite. Fabulous. I cried in the car after the orthodontist appointment and because I am over 19, insurance will not cover this. I have briefly considered just doing the jaw surgery because it may be paid by insurance, but I read a blog about a girl who had her jaw wired for 4 weeks and was excited about eating real food again. That sounds fairly inconvenient. I am looking forward to a second opinion on the matter next month. Between the wrist and the mouth we shall see how far our flex spending account can flex!
All my leads and adoption possibilities have all officially died. I guess it feels good to be off the roller coaster as we had some heart wrenching disappointment, but it stinks to feel like we are back to square one and playing the waiting game. I see no glimmer of light on the horizon either. I felt like a month ago there were options and they certainly are no longer viable. Boo. Guess that gives me lots more time to potty train and enjoy the one on one time I have with this special little girl of mine. I sure love her even if I have to get down and dirty with the laundry!


6 comments:
Jenny! I'm looking at getting braces for the 3rd time also, booo. Does Paige like princesses? When I was potty training Emma I found this app for the iphone that called Emma and Cinderella told her to go potty on the toilet. She loved it. I think this link might take you to the app. https://www.pull-ups.com/activities/pull-ups-big-kid-app
Holy cow - braces for the 3rd time??! I'm sorry - that sounds NOT fun! But at least you won't pair them with HUGE bangs like I did in Jr. High... yeah I thought I was rocking that look. Not so much though.
Good luck with the potty training- I need to start thinking about it with Mace and I am so NOT wanting to tackle that. Parker was a million times harder than Meg and I don't feel like I even have the strength to tackle it!
Seriously as I read about your wrist I was thinking, "Yep - we are totally twins in separate bodies." Mine is this stinking foot... (The one that Mills worked on last November). When I got it done he told me it might last a year, or it might last 10 years but I would be back to have the same surgery repeatedly as that bone grows back.
Here I am only 10 months from the surgery and my foot is hurting in that joint again. Definitely not the excruciating pain that it was before the surgery, but enough that I'm thinking, "What the heck? Do I go in and get it checked knowing that he might tell me he needs to work on it some more?" or ignore it until I can't stand it anymore. Plus hi - 43 surgeries later - I'm scared that people think this is all in my head (or maybe it really IS all in my head??) Whew - what an inner dialogue about our ailing body parts!!
Good luck!
What is going on at your house? We need to get together and talk about some good times. So sorry about the wrist and the braces. You think getting older you wouldn't have to deal with all these things. And Props to you for trying to get Paige to potty train. Not fun. Stick with it though. Looks like you have two Type A personalities in your house. :)
And I am praying for you guys. Love you.
maybe some PT will help with your wrist? could be a matter of strengthening those tendons and ligaments in a broader range of motion. I'm no expert but it might work! sorry about the braces and aging. if life weren't so tricky and hard it would be a breeze! hang in there, planters!
Shana taught us a great "potty song" that really seems to get my kids motivated, even still. ;) We'll be happy to teach it to you!
So if you get the MRI and they tell you soft tissue is hurt, then what would they have you do? can you skip to the solution and see if it works and then deduce that the problem was infact what you didn't need the MRI for?
Girls are rough with the potty training. We read a lot of books and were happy for the carpet cleaner. Have you tried going naked from the waist down? Sometimes seeing it is the final motivator.
Post a Comment