I am SO behind on housework, but I am also a little behind on blogging and I have way more ambition to type than clean right now. It's a rainy day, so plenty of time to do all things indoors right?! The last two weeks have been an absolute blur. We helped my brother move over Labor Day (yay for having him closer!), we had one day to do laundry and then flew out early last Wednesday for a few days in California. Paige and I were pretty excited about seeing Mom and Dad, don't know how excited Mark was, his trip was mostly work.
It was only 5 in the morning, but this little bug was really excited to ride the plane. As much as it stinks to now have to buy a full priced ticket for this kiddo, it was rather enjoyable having everyone in their own seat. Paige did so great traveling. She really loved the plane ride.
Mark had meeting at a hospital right after we landed, so Paige and I tagged along and waited in the lobby for an hour. That was quite the experience. We were at a huge children's and maternity hospital in downtown LA. Note to others, when pining for a baby, don't camp out in the mother baby unit. Not to mention I had to pull out some serious tricks to entertain Paige in a hospital lobby for an hour. It did make for good people watching. LA is a different world than ours! We finally got to Mom and Dad's and waited a while before they got done with their meetings. Paige was so happy to see them and gave them the biggest hugs ever. She then wasted no time bossing them around. Suits and skirts are of no consequence, you are sitting on the grass and playing!
Mark aged a year while we there, and we gave him a party worthy of any 80 year old. Birthdays seem to go down the crapper each year you age. They used to be fun! Paige and I did pound out a cake, and we went to a delicious Mediterranean restaurant where Paige had a peanut butter sandwich. The rest of us were more daring and had some fabulous food.
There was a pretty impressive mall nearby, and we had a bit of extra time in between meetings on Friday, so we decided these dollar rides would have to substitute for Disneyland. Paige was pretty happy and Mark and I saved about 200 bucks. Let me tell ya, I like hot weather, but it was seriously HOT down there. Like 105 degrees with a bit of humidity hot. One day while everyone was in a meeting except for us, Paige and I tried to hit up the park. No one was there but us, which should have been a sign. The toys were blistering hot. Paige wanted to swing and would have for hours, but I was melting. The swings were on a rubber pad that acted as an oven. I was roasting. While talking to my little brother on the phone, I noticed sweat dripping off my elbow. We then decided to find a pool, but they were all closed for Fall. Really!? I am not sure how Dad is able to rock the full suit all the time. Paige insisted he climb into this small train car with her. I am sure his suit was worse for wear.
This was a tiny little carousel, but it was indoors so it quickly became a fan favorite.
On Friday night, Mom and Dad watched Paige while Mark and I went to an Angels game. It was my first Major League game and it was a lot of fun. My favorite part was not having to wear jackets once the sun went down. It was still plenty warm to rock a t-shirt and sandals, even at 10 pm. I didn't eat all day anticipating the ginormous hot dog Mark promised me. It was delicious, but I felt pretty disgusting enjoying the beast. I could feel my arteries closing and my life being shortened by ten years. It was good though, so I suppose it was worth it.
Can't leave without a terrible selfie of our only actual date in months. I am looking old and tired, and sigh, I am becoming old and tired. I think what little make up I had on earlier melted off my face.
Loved the atmosphere and I enjoyed seeing a professional sporting event, but it didn't change the fact that baseball is baseball. A game much more enjoyable when playing. It is SLOW. I think I will stick with watching football. There were a bunch of little kids at the park, like kids Paige's age. I can't think of anything worse than taking Paige to a game that is hours longer than church and trying to keep her entertained, and buying her an 80 dollar ticket to do it! Maybe when she is five she can come.
We spent a lot of time just doing this. Paige loves my mom and dad. She often told Mark and I to leave her alone and go away. She wanted to spend all her time with Boppa and Mamma. Can't say I blame her. My parents are doing great and working hard---and I mean hard! I honestly don't know how they do it. I was tired just watching them. So much is asked of them. I came home feeling rather guilty I find Visiting Teaching and other simple things I am asked to do so inconvenient. I am asked to do so little, and I often don't do it as willingly as I should. My parents are a good example to me and to their grandchildren. They are truly sacrificing their time, talents, and all that they have to serve other people. They serve with a willing heart and they give it their all.
Paige was off schedule and we did more playing than sleeping. She crashed on the way to the airport and could have slept through an earthquake. It was really hard to say goodbye. I miss having my parents close. I loved seeing them interact with Paige again. Things picked up right where they left off. Three years seems like an awfully long time still!
The day after we got back, a good neighbor came over and taught me to can peaches. This was a big deal for me. I am not very self reliant and am overwhelmed even thinking about all the things I don't know. Food storage and canning is so daunting to me. I am amazed at how much others know and the stock pile they create for themselves. Earlier this year, I mentioned to Susan, an amazing gardener and canner, that I wanted to help her and see how it was done. She instead offered to come help me. She was so sweet and even picked up the peaches for me since I was out of town when the shipment came in. Susan brought some supplies and her knowledge and spent the morning teaching me how to do it. It really wasn't that hard, just time consuming and a bit messy, but I felt a bit accomplished as I stared at the finished product. I still don't think I am going to cross the realm into super canner, and I will probably still buy most of my canned goods, but I feel good knowing I at least know the process and can do it!
That pretty much sums up the last two weeks and now I get to go clean two weeks worth of bathrooms and floors. Enthusiasm is waning. Still feels like we need a bit of recovery time and some extra sleep. It will feel good to get back into our boring old routine again. It's boring, but Paige and I like it! Speaking of recovery, the BYU football team seemed to make the most of their week and Mark and I were pretty excited to watch them stomp Texas. The season has hope yet!



4 comments:
That's so fun that you got to go to California and see your parents! (Oh and I suppose I can forgive you for not calling me to go on a ride since you've been out of town...)
Good job canning, I'm actually totally impressed since I've never done anything even remotely cool like that!
The baseball game sounds lame... but I'm glad you had fun, and that hot dog kind of made me a little ill to look at! :)
oh the fun of southern california! glad you had a date night with mark. you'll have to plan your next trip down during the winter :)
way to go on canning! i'm not domestic either so i'm impressed you took on the challenge.
When in AZ we got free tickets to a Diamondback game, and we took the kiddos. Yikes! I think I was more terrified of being in the bleachers miles up and having one of the kids accidentlaly topple into the dugout than remembering anything much of the game. We have found we like minor league baseball better, they move a little quicker and we are a lot closer!
It is amazing to see what full-time service to The Lord looks like.
You should have left your name and number at the reception desk of the hospital and told them you were hoping to adopt. LA is a big city. YOu never know... Wait is that even legal? seems like a good plan!
Post a Comment