Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Crawling Along

It's been two weeks, but it feels like a lifetime. Each day seems to bring some sort of tragedy. I feel like Paige can sense the weak and smell blood in the water and is half child, half monster. I maybe a little less patient than usual, which means I am on the brink of madness at any given moment, but I seriously thought to myself the other day that her and I are on the same maturity level at the moment. It's embarrassing. I  have caught myself yelling at her not to yell. I think I've been the worst mom ever! Mark has been gone almost every day since the club came into my life, and it stinks. I went to the doctor yesterday for my first check up and left Paige with a friend. I sat in the waiting room and it felt like I was on vacation. I am to the point where I can do just about anything with minor discomfort, but everything takes me FOREVER. I have been close to getting poop on the cast, but so far so good. During church on Sunday I caught a whiff of a disturbing smell and inspected the casted hand a bit closer. Seriously yucky and all the skin on my palm was yellow, flaking, and disgusting. The callouses I used to have were falling off and the whole thing just reeked. I have a new appreciation for mothers who have casted children. I am pretty careful and try to keep things clean and orderly, and it is still just gross.

Like I said, Paige senses the weak and takes advantage of it daily. As I am carrying groceries with the good hand, I catch the look in her eye as she realizes I am helpless to catch her. Climbing out of her bed is an old trick, but about a month or so ago she figured out how to do doors. It's beyond annoying. She opens and closes doors all day long. One night I came downstairs to check on her only to discover this:
Cute, but not where I was hoping to find her. A few nights later, Mark and I put her down and went to sit on the porch to enjoy the sunset. I sent Mark in to check on the kid, and she wasn't anywhere to be found. He finally found her barefoot, headed out the garage to the horses. At that point the big guns came out and I put up the child door handles. I felt fairly triumphant----until the following night. Once again I went to check on my "sleeping" child at about 11:30. I found her slathering herself with an entire tub of Eucerin Heavy Cream. She was covered head to toe, and it was smeared into my new carpet. I am sure there was smoke coming out of my ears. She knew she was busted, and Mark saved her life. She cried and cried as Mark cleaned her up, and I cried and cried while I attempted to clean up my carpet. Eucerin is petroleum based, so essentially it's fancy Vaseline. It doesn't come out of anything. It was about a week before Paige's hair lost its greasy sheen. The carpet appears fine, but I am sure as the dirt collects the grease pit will re-appear. Her room is now a step away from being padded.
 
The next day, Mark was late to Scouts and was in a hurry. He pressed the garage door opener and heard it going, so he backed right out of the garage. The only problem was he had raised the other door and backed right into the closed one. Awesome. I watched the entire event live and the only thing that kept me from freaking out on him was the realization that my day will come.
 
The day after that, I was doing FaceTime with my mom, explaining how awesome life was being. Paige has had an on and off again rash that we have been to the doctor for as well, and I was asking her what I should do next since Paige's skin was continuing to give me fits. Maybe the 18 extra baths were causing problems?! Anyway, while talking to my mom, Paige finds my glasses. I ask her to give them to me. Instead, she looks me in the  face as she wrenches them with all her might, snapping them right in two. Furious. I'm only legally blind without lenses, and I only need my glasses every single night. Still working on fixing that problem.
 
I am honestly walking on egg shells these days hoping destruction settles somewhere else. In the midst of the madness, we have been trying to have some fun.
 
The sunset Mark and I were enjoying from the porch while Paige escaped.
 
 
Mark's family rented a vacation home in Bear Lake for a weekend. It was an amazing house. It was a nice, hot weekend--perfect for the lake. I really enjoyed being the only fully clothed person on the beach while everyone else cooled off in the water.

The basement of the house. Paige was in heaven. I decided being rich and having this in my house wouldn't be the worst thing ever.
Paige and I at the 4th of July parade. The parade is never great, but this year it was worse than usual. It was so slow. Kids were standing in the middle of the street making it impossible for the people in the parade to move down the street. The parade needs rules. There needs to be more floats and less trucks with signs. We didn't even stay for the whole thing. We had our fill after an hour. I am sure going by ourselves made it less fun. We missed having our family with us. 4th of July was a pretty big day for my family--lot's of traditions. With my parents gone, it just wasn't the same!

We came home and set up Paige's little pool. She has really enjoyed "wimmin" this year. We were signed up for a mommy n me swim class but mommy ruined that! Paige gave Roxy her necklace from the parade. Roxy also let Paige dump teacups of water on her for about 20 minutes. That's when I noticed the water my feet were bathing in was getting a bit murky. Paige ruined the party by pooping in the pool. I haven't set it up since. I feel like the pool and all her toys need to be de-pooped still, and that sounds like too big of a project with the one hand thing.
Paige is on a huge Monsters Inc kick. She wants to watch it every day. She tells me about "monster-ghosts" all the time. I decided with Mark gone, I would tempt fate and try our first movie theatre experience. We went to Monsters University which was fabulous. Paige did so great and loved it. She doesn't weigh enough to keep the folding seat down and eventually got tired of trying, but she stood and watched very well. She laughed and ooo'd and aww'd the entire time. It was great!

I went to my first follow up appointment yesterday and things are looking good. Finally satisfied my curiosity and got to see my ER x-rays. So gross! I am getting some soreness due to cast pressure, so  they had to split my cast---again. Now it is taped to keep the cuts from catching on things. It looks like a craft project gone bad. So attractive. Strange kids are very concerned about me. Wherever I go, some kid will hound me about the details. I was more exciting than the movie the other night!
 
 
As far as adoption news goes, there is none. We are still at a stand still with LDS Family Services and haven't heard from any other of our avenues. We did have one situation come up through an outreach program that was sounding pretty fabulous until I saw the cost. $48,000. Ummm wow. How do people afford that? The baby is born, and healthy, and a girl, and still waiting for a family. If you or someone you know is interested, my heart aches about it, and I would love to direct them to the place they can find more information it. I have to remind myself that things will happen as they should, but it has been so frustrating to feel like nothing is happening. We are just stuck and waiting. I hate that feeling! I went to pay a bill at the gynecologist just the other day and there was a teenage couple in front of me making an appointment. They had just found out they were pregnant. I was dying inside. I felt like butting myself right into their business. They were less than excited about it, and I was literally crying inside. It just doesn't make sense sometimes. I want to wear a shirt that says "hoping to adopt" in hopes someone knows of someone, somewhere and it sparks a conversation. Not to mention the shirt would speak for itself, and my shy self wouldn't have to:) 
 
 
 

0 comments: