Here is a perfect example of lives weaving together by cancer. As you know, a few days ago I introduced our "giving back" project. The first response I got was from an old friend I met at a college ward. It has really been years since we have seen each other or even talked much for that matter. It is great how Facebook allows you to keep in contact with people that never would have been possible before. Here is a little excerpt from her message:
"My father in law was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer Feb 2010, He went through 3 surgeries including having 65% of his liver taken out, 11 rounds of chemo, a fierce infection and 5 hospital stays adding up to 45 days total. He is finally well and back to himself. At his intial diagnosis they gave him a year to live, we have almost hit that year mark and his last scan a month ago his body was completely clear of cancer. We are cautiously optomistic that he will continue on the wellness path! So on a small scale our family can relate to what you both went through. I'm sorry you had to experience something so hard with your husband (we are all to young to deal with that kind of stuff)."
What an amazing survivor story! I got chills reading Anna's message, and it brought tears to my eyes. Anna's father-in-law's birthday is today. Congratulations! I know he and his family have a new appreciation for celebrating life today. In honor of his birthday, they are sending us a package to donate to the project. I love it! I love how projects like these unite people and bring hope to everyone invovled. Hopefully the end result will bring a few smiles on a few faces. No matter what your age, I am with Anna, we are ALL to young to deal with this kind of stuff.
The big kickoff event is slated for Thursday, February 3rd. The event will be at the new Marriot Hotel in Rexburg. It is at 1177 South Yellowstone Highway. Time: 6:30-7:00 Team and Survivor Registration, 7:00-8:00 Program and Service Project, 8:00-8:30 Team and Survivor Registration. We are hoping this will be a family event, so bring your kids! They are working on refreshments through Jamba and Great Harvest bread. Hopefully, we will PACK that room and having standing room only! There will be so many ways to get involved this night.
1.Remember, Mark will be one of the speakers during the program, and there will also be some entertainment.
2. The service project will encompass our "giving back" project. We are asking those who come to bring a toy or dvd to donate if they are willing. We will be sanitizing the toys that night so they are ready to go to the oncology clinic. I would hate to dump them a whole bunch of germs! If you would like to donate Clorox wipes to the cause, that would be great as well. I will be providing bins and boxes, but I am sure if you have extra of these we could use them as well. Hopefully we will fill them! I really feel like there can't be too much. Perhaps with excess we can spread the joy to the hospital, or let kids take them home after rough treatment days. Anyone out there who has had a "chemo day" knows that it is hard to get excited about it. Maybe knowing you might get a cool toy to take home will make it a little better. The toys and dvds DO NOT have to be new, so don't feel like this is something you have to go and buy for. Look around your house, see if there is a dvd you can't stand to watch one more time, or a toy you would be glad to "hide" permanently:) The only requirement is the toys need to be easily sanitized after each use to help keep germs at bay. We don't want to distress those weakened immune systems!
3. Another aspect of the service project will be more child oriented. If you aren't familiar with Mark and I's story, start reading last years posts in February. We were in the hospital over Valentine's Day and we received a beautiful card from Rhett, a little boy we didn't know. It lifted our spirits! There will be a table set up for kids to draw pictures, cards, or valentines to give out to patients. There isn't a person out there that doesn't love a little artwork from the heart. What a great oppurtunity to allow our little ones an oppurtunity to serve.
3. Team and Survivor registration will also be held. If you have never been part of a team, now's your chance. Relay for Life teams not only physically support by walking the track for 24 hours, but they raise funds for cancer research. It all goes towards a great cause, so come out and let's enjoy each others company.
If you can't come that night, but would still like to donate to our little project, feel free to email me at jsteiner18@gmail.com and I can give you some more information. Beehive Federal Credit Union in Rexburg has been generous enough to allow donations to be dropped off to either of their locations:
Rexburg Locations:
65 S Center
1087 Erikson Dr
Lobby Hours: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Our Valentine from Rhett, and a few get well card's from Mark's nieces.
Mark and I taking part in the survivor lap during last year's Relay for Life.
Come spend a night with us celebrating all those who are touched in someway by cancer. I promise you won't regret it! Service is infectious and is certain to bring a smile. It is dark, gloomy, and winter, let's brighten the mood by strengthening each other and by giving back!



3 comments:
PERFECT! I love it. Thank you so much for letting us be involved in celebrating Mark's "1st Birthday!"
P.S. Paige is beautiful!!!!!!!!!
Hey I want to donate time money whatever you need and I want to see you momma!
Hey Steiners!
We'll be there.
Love you,
The Ironman and Fam
Post a Comment