Time is cruising and I am falling further and further behind. Hopefully I can regurgitate what we have been up to while I still remember it! Life has treated us well lately, and spring is trying to peak it's head through the clouds and wind. Thank goodness, bring on the sun! I am just a happier person when the sun is shining and the air is warm. Feels so good to get out.
Horses have somewhat monopolized our life lately....and I am ok with that! The ponies have been at pony camp all winter, and since they are coming home soon, we have made the most of riding time with Sherman our trainer, or as we like to call him, the horse whisperer. It has been nice to go out and ride with him. I have learned so much and my confidence grows with each ride. I feel like he has helped me to understand Tucker better and how to get the most out of him. What I love most about riding is what it teaches me about myself. I enjoy building a relationship with my horse and I am learning to recognize the reasons behind his actions and what to do about it. Can't get enough of learning! We have definitely created a monster in Paige and she loves to go out and ride as much as any of us. She thinks she is big and should get to ride Tucker all by herself. When she does, the first thing she asks to do is run. Paige is catching the riding bug, and even asked if she could ride Roxy the other day. Pretty sure the dog would love that! With Mark's big Christmas gift around the corner, he wanted to get some practice sessions in before heading off to roping school. We thought this particular day was a pretty spectacular since we only needed one coat out at the arena. My face did get sunburnt which honestly I embraced. Paige rode on the four wheeler and pulled the heel-o-matic for hours. Unfortunately, Mark learned all his practice was in vain....haha! More on that to come. We spent two Saturdays with Mark's buddy Chad hoping Mark could get a good handle on things. Good thing we just enjoy being out there together with good company!
While I was busy packing and cleaning in preparation for our little excursion, I noticed Paige found a great new toy holder. Bring on the stainless steel fingerprints! Totally worth the smile this brought though.
As a refresher, being the awesome wife that I am, and equally convincing my friend to be an awesome wife, we got the hubby's a few days in Arizona at a roping school with Mike Beers, who is a world champion roper. It gave us all something to look forward to. Initially it was supposed to be a guys trip, but they loved us enough to insist we join them and I am glad! It was so nice to get out of the cold and enjoy perhaps the most fabulous weather ever. Like seriously, heaven. Low 80s, little to no breeze. And when I say breeze, I mean actual breeze not Idaho breeze which, let's face it, doesn't exist. We only have wind and hurricane wind. While the boys spent the hours 9-4 roping, the wives enjoyed a little R and R. We left our kids in good hands, with the exception of little Hayes. He sure is a cute baby and has an amazing temperament. One happy content little dude! Hayes was an absolute pleasure to have around. Mandi---ya did good! We rented a vacation home that was pretty much out of our league. I felt all sorts of fancy buzzing into the gated community. Mandi and I enjoyed running on the scenic streets and waving to the BMWs or golf carts that whizzed by. The house, the area, were just perfect!
Bruce, Mark, Mike Beers, and Weston. We started off strong insisting we get a "first day of school" photo. The boys were fairly embarrassed. I thought they looked nice all cowboyed up and holding shiny new ropes!
This baby is cute. Even with his eyes closed, even with the his scary pale friend.
After dropping off the guys, we soon realized we had no agenda. I failed on the travel agent side of things. Since we had time to kill, we decided to make the trek down to the Gilbert temple. I was pretty much blown away by pictures I had seen from the dedication and was dying to see it in person. It didn't disappoint.. Lovely. One of my favorite temples ever. Didn't hurt that the weather was just gorgeous. It made for a nice stroll!
I have decided that I feel awkward when posing. I notice now that I do this strange lean thing that somewhat results in a hunchback effect. Mandi steals the show and saves the photo with her beautifulness. This shot isn't too bad, the ones Mandi later took of Mark and I are just plain sad.
On one of our morning runs, we came across this lovely scene. Dead diamond back, dead mouse. Hmmm. We spent the rest of the run trying to piece together that mystery and also watching our steps a bit more. It had been a long time since I ran, and had gone on a run I actually enjoyed. I actually quite enjoyed my morning runs with Mandi. The weather was so great and the area so beautiful, you couldn't help but to soak it in, even while sweating and gasping for air. I'm not sure how this happens,
but we ran uphill way more than we ran downhill.
Another picture of our neighborhood which hugged this golf course. Ya, I could move there. I'm fairly certain my only way into that neighborhood will be to clean the houses of the fabulously wealthy. And I am ok with that. I can clean!
Mark and Bruce on the final day of school. Mark said it was pretty humbling. Mike Beers isn't afraid to tell ya you do it wrong. Mark apparently got humbled a bit more than the others, and got to buy two shiny red ropes since Mike cut his first one to teach him a lesson. All of his practice had been in vain since Mike informed them all that their swings were entirely wrong. Nice. In the end, they all agreed they were better than when they came. Mark claims to have even caught 8 in a row. I think they had a good time and consider the trip to be a success.
Mark in the box looking really serious.
Once roping school was all done, we were once again at a loss as to what to do. We did lots of poolside sitting, lots of eating, lots of nothing---just what I needed! The boys weren't quite as down with sitting around so the last night we decided to hit up the Mesa temple. It was just nice to enjoy a good walk in the sun, admiring actual blooming plants. Ok, so now can you see what I mean? I am doing a weird lean thing. I think Mark makes it worse cuz he really pulls ya in close for those pictures!
Our friends Coy and Emilee watched Paige for us while we were gone. I've said it before but I will say it again, we are blessed to have great friends! Paige was so excited to go to their house. I was praying she would be a good girl and not drive them too crazy. It is always harder to watch other people's kids than your own. And let's face it, Paige is fairly certain she is in charge of everyone. Emilee swears she was a good girl, even though at one point Paige told Emilee to 'leave her sister alone!" Paige latched onto 10 year old Bailee. She slept in her bed and I am sure followed her around endlessly. At one point, Bailee got in trouble with Emilee and Paige was not having it! See---Paige is completely sure she is the boss.
This is beyond cute. Holding hands, snuggling up. Paige needs siblings, in the meantime I am grateful we have great friends to help her fill the void!
Besides our little excursion, life has been a bit hectic lately. I maybe developing an ulcer haha. Just kidding---kind of. I feel like I am learning a lot of lessons, the hard way. Definitely a time of growth which is good. I am realizing I do not have all the answers and that is ok. I am trying to have more faith and trust that someone else does and that He knows what is best. I wish I was better at recognizing what His will was and was better about aligning myself with it. I suppose that is all part of what I am trying to learn and there is no easy way to do it. Mandi gave me the greatest blessing yesterday by allowing me to go to the temple. I needed it so badly. While I am not entirely sure it solved all my problems, I greatly needed the peace and safety I felt inside. I actually cried walking in. I was just so happy to be there! Growing pains are hard, but I appreciate them. I need them. I need to do better, to be better, to progress.
As always, Paige continues to bring much joy and laughter into our home. My favorite things lately:
1. Talking to her on the phone while on our trip. I am never on the receiving end of her phone conversations and it was so fun to hear her cute little voice and to hear her tell me she "loves me so much."
2. When I tell her it is time for bed, or time to go to the gym, or to church, she now trots herself over to the clock on the side table. Gives it a good look and informs it isn't time yet. Not sure what she is seeing and processing. Mostly I think she is just certain she is the boss and even time bows to her command.
3. After church she waited until Mark and I were changing out of our church clothes, slid a chair to the fridge, grabbed a can of frosting, and helped herself to a spoon. This is completely my fault. Yes, I eat frosting with a spoon. More regularly since it satisfies my sweet tooth and is easy to eat with braces. I made the mistake of letting Paige share in the moment. One day she told me frosting was like yogurt. No, Paige, not like yogurt! I have felt a substantial loss discovering the grocery store no longer carries Rainbow Chip frosting. It is now called Rainbow Sprinkles and has stupid sprinkles you can add on top. I want the traditional multi colored chips people!
4. When I tell her she can't play on the iPad or have a treat, she informs me I need to share. Hard to explain myself out of that at times.
5. She continues to love makeup and told me the other day her lips didn't match her shirt.
6. She loves kids and will go up to anyone she feels like is her size and ask "will you play with me?" So sweet. She implores me with the same question and it's impossible to turn her down. Other kids don't have a problem saying no and it always tugs my heart a bit.
7. Thanks to FaceTime with my parents, Paige now thinks anytime you are on the phone you can see what is going on. She will hold up things to the phone all the time.
8. The kid likes to sing and dance and I love to watch it. Today "Let it Go" played over and over and she sang along each and every time. Love hearing actual words and laughing when she has no clue what the words are.
9. She loves animals and loves to play fetch with Roxy and loves to pet the cat. She is as excited about nice days as I am and now asks if it is a nice day. She continues to think fishing is the greatest of all activities. If I ask what we should do, that is what she tells me. Mind you, we have never been fishing. Looks like we need to! Mark likes to, and it is easily accessible, but she's three and it isn't something on my top list to do. Apparently Paige thinks that needs to change.



3 comments:
what a fun trip to the valley of the sun! the gilbert temple looks fantastic! i guess i ought to see it in person since my brother lives just down the road.
hang in there til the weather warms up for good, planters! you'll be back to playing old lady soccer and taking paige to the slough to fish soon enough :)
What a nice time to get away on a fun trip! You are too critical of yourself. You look dang cute in your pictures. Paige is one silly girl. That picture of the bear hanging out on the fridge made my day. I love finding toys and objects in random places. I found Nate's shoe once in the toy bin. Pretty sure he didn't put it there. Makes you laugh and love it all! When are we going to party like it's 1999?
Sun, here it comes! Part of the magic of Spring is that we get to anticipate it for so long!
Post a Comment