A little over a week ago, Paige notified me she was awake and ready for the day. When I got in there, she told me not to touch her she was on a boat. I have no idea where this idea came from, but it is safe to say it is a new obsession. In fact, I am typing this post from one of her boats. She's fairly insistent on who rides, where they sit, and when you can get off. Most of the time I am on driving duty, but you can only drive so many boats to the cookie store in a day. I've convinced her to let me type while Puppy drives.
Fortunately Dad comes home from work and takes a turn on the boat.
Besides boat riding, I've been mourning Paige's third birthday. She is growing up so fast. She is doing all she can to savor her terrible two's. Since Thanksgiving my sweet little one has been slightly possessed. We have had stages like this before, a week or two of sheer terror. She can throw one nasty fit and lately everything has been a fight. Getting into the car, getting out of the car, going potty, not going potty, eating, brushing teeth, putting on socks....you get the picture. I'm hoping teeth are the culprit because I can not figure out why the sudden shift in demeanor. I've had some less than proud mommy moments as I have tried to learn some patience and how to better handle her screaming into my face multiple times a day. I will say that I feel like I have shown signs of improvement. Yesterday, she spent some quality time in her room beating her legs against the floor while I managed to zone out and eat my lunch in relative peace.
Her birthday is always a time of reflection for me. Each year as she grows, I wonder if this will be the last kid I watch learn to walk, talk, and grow into their own little person. The time goes so fast. It feels like sand between my fingers and I hope that I treasure my time with her enough. There are hard moments, but oh so many good ones. She is getting big and changing so fast. Paige has taught me so much, and I love experiencing life through her point of view. I feel like I get to be a kid all over again because of her. I get to color, watch cartoons, get excited about things like the moon, see Santa, and recognize the magic still left in the world. It seems like time has flown by, but it also seems like she has been a part of our family forever. I can't imagine my life without her, and I am beyond blessed!
We did see Santa this week and Paige did pretty well. I prepped her all day and got her pretty excited. When it came right down to it, she was shy but willingly sat on his lap and snuggled up close. She really just wanted to snuggle with Santa and I don't think he realized she was trying to be loving. Pretty sure Santa thought she was scared. She managed to mumble "presents" when he asked what she wanted for Christmas. Paige apparently is only particular about her food, presents are presents! I was personally very impressed with Santa. He was a good one!
The other event of the week was a new cast. I have another month and a half to go, but I'm halfway through! I requested black again, but they were out. From there, there really wasn't a "good" choice. White gets too dirty, navy blue doesn't look navy blue and looks very hospital-ish. The rest are all very colorful and scream, "look at me!" In my head I thought, "purple is like black, let's do that." Hmmm. Purple does NOT look like black! At least Paige is a fan. She has been pretty excited about my purple "owie" and how it matches her fingernails. I, however, feel like I'm five. If it would only light up when I shook it things would be perfect. I took a picture of my skin during the short lived freedom I experienced, but I will spare you. Disgusting, smelly, and itchy. I tried my best to exfoliate while I had the chance, but don't think it was too productive. I did leave a pretty pile of skin behind. Embarrassing.
Mark's mom watched Paige last Saturday while we did some Christmas shopping. Her cousins were in town and Paige loved every moment. Madison is 15 and was snap chatting with some friends. She caught Paige in the background copying her every move. Kind of hilarious.
Paige took our orders the other night at Texas Roadhouse. She took it very seriously. She even suggested I put cheese on my hamburger. I like the way she thinks.
I walked into the piano room the other night, flipped on the lights, and found my spot on the bench occupied. Made me laugh.
Random things she has said lately:
After putting on her coat, she saluted me and said, "Thank you sir"
"Hey, I have an idea. I think I need something yummy"
"I want to be naughty and go to time out."
"I don't want to be sad, I just want to be happy."
"I don't like to walk on the snow. It's gross and a huge mess."
"Dad, let's sing bird" (My Heavenly Father Loves Me) "Paige, I don't know that one." "You should learn it---it's fun." Mark says they have this conversation every night.


3 comments:
They really do grow up too fast! She is the cutest little blonde girl! I'm glad I'm not the only one dealing with an almost 3 year old who still wants to throw tantrums and stay in their terrible two's! I can totally relate to everything you said! My Brayden peed his pants 6 times the other day!! And he's been potty trained for almost five months! So ridiculous!
Paige you are so hilarious. I would love to come over and ride in your boat. Maybe your mom would let me sign her sexy purple cast. That would be neat!
i love the logic and conversation of toddlers! happy holidays to you all!
Post a Comment