I am really loving Christmas this year. Mark and I decided to simplify and go easy on the gifts. I have tried to make the gifts I have gotten meaningful and few in number. For my family, since we are all over the country and Poland, we all did services for others on the same day instead of a gift exchange. For Mark's family, we also opted out of the usual gift exchange and helped a family in need. I don't know if it is the emphasis on service or the failed attempts to start a family, but I feel very grateful for the Savior. I have been down and frustrated with my life, and the Christmas spirit has really saved me this year. It seems to be more evident this year than others.
Lately I have been contemplating the amazing miracle the birth of Christ really is. I admire Mary so much, she was an incredible woman. I can't imagine knowing you were to be the mother of a baby that would save the world. She also had to go through the pain and sacrifice of watching her son die for the rest of us. I know the Savior loved and respected his mother so much. He asked his apostles to watch over her as he hung on the cross. It really is mind blowing to know he had a mortal mother, and an immortal father. He truly is the literal, only begotten son of the Father. I have also thought a lot this year about Joseph. What an amazing man! He helped raise a boy that was not his. He basically was an adoptive father which hits really close to me. I hope someday we are adoptive parents. Anyway, Joseph provided and protected his family. He was close to the Spirit and listened, moving his family to Egypt to escape Herod. They were a real family, real people, and probably had some very normal human days. Christ came as a baby, just like the rest of us, and needed a father and mother to care for him. I admire the shepards and wise men who had the faith to find the Messiah and believed in him, as he was, a child. They believed without seeing any of his mortal ministry. They knew that he wasn't just another baby. The believed the prophecies. What an incredible night. One special night that took place in the most humble circumstances, that changed the world. There would be no purpose for us without the birth of the Savior. I love Christmas time; the lights, music, smells, and family. I can't believe it is over in just a few days. I really don't want to see it go!
One of my favorite songs is a primary song written by some very talented people in my ward. The chorus goes:
One night, a babe was born, a perfect baby boy.
The Father's own begotten son, what a gift of joy!
For he came to save the world, for every boy and girl.
A gift of love, from heaven above,
It all happened one night!
4 days ago


0 comments:
Post a Comment