I was pretty excited about Christmas and Paige's birthday this year. Paige is old enough to finally "get" things and she was excited about everything and it made the season really fun. It forces Mark and I to be a little more fun. We really are trying to figure out our own traditions and what we want to do now that it matters a lot more. Mark can be a bit of a Scrooge about some things, but even he made an effort this year to make things different and special. We still have a ways to go. My parents. well my mom, was a Christmas rock star. We had so many fun little traditions that made it so magical. There are few things better than Christmas as a kid!
We started things off by visiting Santa. We waited at least an hour to see him. Mark was out of town on business, so this was all Paige and I. Fortunately we had this crazy second Fall and it was really nice. Waiting outside wasn't too bad! Paige was a whole lot of talk and kind of froze up once she finally got to Santa. She wanted to give hugs and cuddles, but wasn't really interested in chit chat. She requested presents was all. Easy enough!
As much as I hate braces, they are working. I have seen a big difference in the last few months. This little beauty loves to take pictures and selfies. We are creating a social media monster!
Really though, could she be any cuter? And of course Kitty Cat has to be a part. That poor little cat is well loved.
Paige's birthday is always a little bittersweet for me. It is so hard to see time fly by. I can't believe my sweet little baby is 4. I remember the events leading up to and surrounding her birth like they were yesterday. I have never been so excited and anxious about anything in my entire life. It was so wonderful and SO hard. It was hard to watch her birth mom go through it. Broke my heart a bit to know I was breaking hers. It taught me so much about sacrifice, love, and really strengthened my testimony. Needless to say, Paige's birthday just feels extra special and a time of deep reflection. The last two years I have felt added pressure and sadness knowing another year has passed and she has yet to have a sibling. The age gap widens. It shouldn't matter, but it sometimes just feels like a big deal. A 4 year span.
I taped streamers up again for Paige. I must have either gotten high quality streamers or heavy duty tape, or both. Paige tried to break through these in the morning and bounced right off. I had to laugh a little bit. She woke up and was so excited about it being her birthday and being 4. Even though the door burst didn't go as planned, Paige loved it and made me tape them up a few times. One of the first things she asked me that morning was where her family was. I kept telling her that Mark and I were both there and we were her family. She wanted to know where the REST of her family was....umm...I guess Mark and I don't throw a big enough party!
I tried to fill the empty seats again with some of her babies. She has been on a birthday kick for months and these are always her party guests. I thought they'd do for the real deal, but apparently not! Not lively enough for Paige this time!
:Little one was super excited about her presents. My Little Pony was the them for birthday 4.0. She got spoiled and loved every minute of it. Even if Mark and I are a bit lame. At least we bring gifts!
My sister-in-laws should both be on Cake Boss. I should not be. But I wish I was as talented as they are! Paige really wanted a pony cake and I thought mine turned out pretty well for being not a baker, and not artistic. Of course this was my SECOND attempt that day. I am glad I took a picture because when we transported it to the church it broke. I was slightly crushed. Paige was fine.
Our good friends usually feel sorry for us and our lack of social well-being. Patti really went all out this year to include us in her family traditions. She did 12 days of Christmas for us and it was awesome! Paige really loved it. Plus, there was a party every few days. Family Home Evening landed on Paige's birthday, so we told Paige it was her party. She was beyond excited. Patti went to a lot of work to put a bunch of games together and it was really fun. We enjoyed being there with everyone and Paige felt extra special!
Paige is pretty certain these are her "peeps" which I am grateful for. She couldn't have picked a better group of siblings/cousins/friends/family
There was even a piñata. 4 year old party bliss. The next morning, Paige woke up with her new Rainbow Dash plush and said, "Mom, you are never going to believe this.....but today is Rainbow Dash's birthday!" Said in her most excited voice ever. The girl likes a good birthday party.
In addition to birthdays, I was in charge of Mark's family Christmas party. We went to an indoor sports complex, and then out to the elementary school here for dinner and games. I made a bunch of different soups and planned some fun holiday games. We centered the night around missionaries and missionary work. It was fun to hear about the boys' Christmas experiences from their missions. We also adopted some of Mom and Dad's missionaries to send some things too. The family Christmas party was a lot of work, but I think things turned out well and I am SUPER glad it is not my turn for another five years. Yippee! Since Paige's birthday was on a Monday and I was in charge of the big extended family Christmas the weekend proceeding her birthday, we had a second birthday the following weekend so Mimi and Momma Liv could come celebrate with us. Basically, we had a party every night and Paige was sure they were all for her!
We love these two so much. They made quite a long drive up to the middle of nowhere to spend some time with us. Paige was so excited to have them here. She was CRAZY and wild the entire time. Poor Mimi and Liv got lost on the way out here, and Paige kept asking if they were lost in the woods and if they would be ok. We are glad they finally made it out of the woods and hung out with us! After they left, Paige told me multiple times she missed her friends.
Here is a very dirty TJ. He gets to be at pony camp all winter. Tucker needs a turn out there. Tucker has been naughty lately! The other night Mark and I spent a few hours in the freezing snow and wind chasing him and his two mare neighbors. We enlisted a few friends to help and it still took two hours. I finally caught him after running a mini marathon. I was pooped!
Besides parties, I went to yet another dermatologist appointment because of some misunderstanding. I figure if I go every two weeks there is no way I can be surprised and die. I also hit up the OBGYN. It felt like I was at a doctor appointment daily. Mark has been making fun of me. The OBGYN was discouraging and usual and it appears the rollercoaster of emotion is only beginning. Grr. Mark, Paige, and I all got awesome cold and coughs. But no doctor visit for that. I had already spent all our flex money. Fortunately we all lived.


0 comments:
Post a Comment