Sunday, October 24, 2010

Change is Good

Mark and I have felt that this year hasn't been exciting enough, so we are going to cram a few more things in before 2011 rolls through. For various reasons, we felt it was time to leave the starter home behind and start a new chapter in our lives. It has been a very bittersweet experience. This house, hmmm. Well let's just say it has been a little bit of an adventure. When we bought it, we thought we would fix it up and flip it quick. Little did we know that first, there is nothing easy about fixing up an older home, and second, we had no idea we would love the area so much. If you ever feel a lack of faith in the human race, travel out to Parker and your faith will be restored. Amazing people live out here and they have been a tremendous blessing in our lives. Many prayers were said this year thanking our Heavenly Father for wonderful friends and neighbors that lifted us through some hard times. Their goodness will never be forgotten. It will be hard to leave, but we have reminded ourselves and others, that we are not moving to Africa, or even out of the immediate area so there is no good reason to not keep in touch.
Our first home--wish I had a "before" picture. We often ask ourselves what possessed us to buy it in the first place. It was basically hideous. We were both still in school and had zero time or money for such an undertaking, but we made it work and made it home. It has been right where we needed to be and many memories were made here.

I am trying to be excited about the actual moving process. I feel like I have an exceptionally good game plan, but I also know that none of my plans, ever, never, ever, work out the way I think they will. I am so excited to have some things I haven't had yet in my married life: a garage, a garbage disposal(o boy), central air, garbage service(this is super exciting), a utility sink, and a big tub. Really, really excited about these things. There was a moment earlier this year that I thought I would never ever be able to move into a newer home, I feel this is a huge blessing! I also feel a little spoiled, slightly guilty, but extremely blessed and excited. I have actually never bought a decor item--ever. Seriously! It was almost impossible to hang pictures or decorate this old home, so I never did. Things I had were things that were handed down or given to us for our wedding. I told Mark that will change. I am trying to reel myself in, but my small creative side is bursting with ideas. I feel like I have saved up six years worth of decor allowance and should be allowed to let loose. We shall see.

This past week was my last week working--for awhile. I finished teaching first block soccer classes. This fall made it hard to leave. I have never had such wonderful weather. I had great classes and wonderful, warm sunshine. It made for a perfect last semester. Working at the college has been a life saver. Once again, it was not part of the plan. Heavenly Father definitely looked out for me, because it became my saving grace. I got to do something I enjoyed and get paid for it. It made some dark times bearable. I am ready to move on--change is good, and in my case--really, really good. However, it was extremely hard to say goodbye and clean my office out. It felt very real and final. I had the opportunity to work with wonderful people and mentors. Honestly, it changed my life. No matter what is on the horizon, it is always hard to say goodbye, especially for me. I feel like the last 7-8 years have revolved around the university, going there and working there, it will be strange to not be a part of campus anymore. But, its time for something new.

Mark and I celebrated our 6 year anniversary on Friday. Six years ago was the scariest day of my life. I was not a good bride, but 6 years later, I realize that it was the best decision I ever made. I am sure grateful for my sweet husband. I feel blessed to be celebrating our 6th year, a part of me didn't think that was going to happen ever either. So glad it did, and here is to many more years to share with my better half, my best friend.

6 comments:

Shalee said...

Yay! Good luck with all these new chapters in life! It's exciting!! :)

Haylee said...

I love you Jenny!! I'm so happy for you both. Congratulations on 6 years together. Change is great!!

Annalee Taylor said...

so sweet. And I cant believe its been 6 years, I remember this day, you were a great bride, you need to give yourself more credit!

Mandi said...

change is Bad!!!!!

Holly said...

Jenny- I've been following your blog. I don't know if you remember me or not, but we went to high school together. My husband (Ben) was in your grade and I was a year younger. Anyways- I wanted to tell you about a great place to find home decor. Real Deals. It's over by Frontier Pies and Kennedy School. It's only opened on Thursday and Saturday. They have really great prices and lots of cute stuff. Good luck on decorating your new place!

Unknown said...

congrats, planters! where are you moving? i'll have to hit you up over christmas break for a run! love ya & keep up the good work . . . post-byui-i!