When Mark got sick, I decided it would be cool to do another marathon and to do it for a purpose. I am only a few weeks into training, and I don't know if "cool" is the word I would use to describe it anymore. I don't remember it being this laborious and painful the first time around. I can only remember how good it felt to say I had actually finished it. I must have selective memory. I have learned one thing from running, shoes matter! Shoes can make or break me, my body doesn't love the strain running puts on it, but it is bearable with a good pair of shoes. I always try to wear my old ones too long, and I always regret it. This year was no different. My joints were killing me as I trudged in my heavily worn, but rather attractive shoes. I should care more about performance than appearance, but I am a girl, and I do have a slight matching fetish. I swore to myself a long time ago that I would never own a pair of New Balances because they are ugly and have this huge "N" on the side of the shoe. They couldn't come up with a better logo? Didn't some kid come up with the Nike swoosh? Aren't there people whose job it is to brand things? Really, the best you could come up with is a huge "N"? Alas, here are my new shoes:
I hate to say it, but I love them. They are incredibly comfortable and my hips are so glad. As I stared at the unfortunate branding the other night, I decided this is exactly what Mark and I are trying to do with our lives, we are trying to find a "new balance." I feel like the last few months have gone so fast. Our lives flipped upside down, but it is now finding itself back on track, in balance. There is a definite light at the end of this tunnel. However, I don't think it will ever officially leave. Mark and I are different now. Our home visit is this next week, and it might change our lives more so than anything else we have ever had to deal with yet. I go back to work soon and it feels like obstacles are flying from every direction. I hope that whatever happens in the next few months, Mark and I are able to figure out how to maintain balance in our lives, a good "new balance."
Mark had his fifth cycle of chemotherapy yesterday. He is officially on the downhill slide. We are so grateful to have a clinic here that can provide Mark with everything he needs. Mark gets treated right in the clinic. Here is a picture of the room:
Mark wanted me to take a picture of his port in use. Perhaps to prove that he really doesn't have a third nipple and it really is a port. I secretly think he wanted to show off the amazing figure. Ok, it actually is pretty cool how convenient the port is. They connect this to the IV drip and he sleeps while everything else does all the work.
I know that I have not been posting as frequently. Take it as good news, our lives are truly kind of boring day to day. Pretty normal stuff, which I am trying to learn to appreciate better. Once again, thank you all for thinking of us and keeping tabs on us. We have had a wonderful outpouring from family, friends, and even strangers. Mark and I feel insignificantly important. We are just two regular people who have seen some pretty amazing things and have been greatly blessed by a loving Heavenly Father. He loves us, is mindful of us, and we are important to Him. I hope we can do our part in return.


4 comments:
OK, So I know I tell you this all the time, but you are such a good writer, I love reading your posts and Im so glad to hear your having boring days again! Who knew boring was wonderful?! So, I got some bday money and I have been looking for some good shoes... I might just have to copy you and take your word for it! Im totally agreeing on the whole "look" of them, but if they are comfy and do the job, then worth it! I am commiting myself to do a 5k... not a marathon, but a BIG step for me! So good luck on your marathon and hopefully I can make it 2.5 miles without dying! LOL.
i'm with you on the new balance shoes. they look alright, but every pair i've put on has been hard! maybe it's time to give them another shot. i am an asics runner and don't feel like i can change that. hope your training is "fun" ;) i'm sure i'll feel a little remorse the day i was supposed to run my marathon. in fact, i might try running a bit this coming week. i've tried to do other things to let my IT band rest, but we'll see. dude, they have NO place to run out here in the east! no good shoulder on the road, no bike paths. its like murder going out there! lol! anyhow, i hope things go well with your visit!
Jenny, next time you come over remind me to show you my closet. I'll show you what a matching workout shoe fetish looks like. =) Your not alone! Make sure you work gardening and canning into your "new balanced" schedule. We've got salsa to make it sounds like.
Soooo many blessings and so much to be thankful for. I like your "New Balance" analogy and am happy to hear your life is what you call "boring". Boring isn't so bad afterall is it? Love to you both!
Post a Comment